Or check out some interesting space facts below:
- The universe is observed to be 13.8 billion years old has been expanding since its formation in the Big Bang.
- In the observable universe there are an estimated 2 trillion (2,000,0000,000,000) galaxies.
- The space between galaxies is not completely empty but has an average of one atom per cubic meter.
- There are an estimated 100-400 billion stars in our galaxy, the Milky Way.
- Our solar system is made up of the Sun, planets, dwarf planets, moons, and numerous smaller objects such as comets and asteroids.
- There are 8 planets in our solar system, they are Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
- Together the planets make up 0.14% of the solar systems mass, 99% of which is the gas giants (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune).
- Except for the Earth, the planets are named after gods from Roman and Greek mythology.
- The combined mass of all the Moons in the solar system is less than 0.1% of the Earths mass.
Select a category from the menu or one of the pages below to learn more: